Associate Scientist - Bioprocessing (Fermentation)
Located in Seattle, Washington, Arzeda is solving some of today’s hardest and most meaningful problems – from food and nutrition to sustainable materials and homecare – by designing proteins that have the limitless potential to change everyone’s daily life. Our Intelligent Protein Design Technology™ merges computational protein design, machine learning, and synthetic biology tools to produce proteins, enzymes, and bio-based processes more efficiently than even Mother Nature. A deep tech, mission-driven company, we are passionate about our mission to design novel proteins and products that enhance our lives and protect our planet. At Arzeda, we value a strong desire to learn, innovate and be continuously challenged.
We are seeking a team player with a keen eye to join our Bioprocessing team as an Associate Scientist I. In this role, you will be excited to contribute your lab skills and creative problem-solving abilities to support scale-up process development for multiple innovative product lines. This is an awesome opportunity to receive valuable mentorship as you grow in your career here at Arzeda.
- Assist in cleaning bioreactors and associated components
- Assist in making media, setting up bioreactors and inoculations
- Assist in harvesting of bioreactors and recording data
- Assist in maintenance of bioreactors and associated equipment
- Transfer cultures as needed and other seed train processes
- Sample bioreactors and process samples
- Record offline fermentation data in real time
- Participate in the execution of shake flask microbiology experiment as needed.
- Participate in weekly planning meetings
- Participate in monthly journal club meetings focused on learning more about different fermentation processes
- Participate in annual company-wide presentation
- Bachelor of science in biology, microbiology or biotechnology related field; or Associates and 2 years of industry experience in lab setting
- At least 1 year of lab experience working with microbial cell cultures, specifically yeast or bacterial cultures, and a basic understanding of protein expression.
- A minimum of 1 year of aseptic technique and data entry.
- Experience with standard lab equipment (pipettes, centrifugations, autoclaves, etc.).
- Strong communication skills and interdisciplinary experience.
- Proficiency with standard Microsoft office software (Excel, Word, Teams, etc).
- Detail oriented and able to report data into LIMS systems
- Good observation skills
- Willing to learn experimental design/planning and data analysis
- Able to work the 10am-7pm shift
- Able to work approximately 1 weekend a month for sampling and culture transferring (after being fully trained); weekend work is generally 2-4 hours and time off during the week is used to compensate for weekend hours.
Nice-to-haves (but not required):
- Experience with Sartorius bioreactor systems is preferred.
- Good understanding of microbial physiology.
- Experience with statistical and DOE software a plus.
Arzeda compensation and benefits include:
- Comprehensive compensation package, to include equity
- Base Annual Salary Range: $54,000 - $68,000 (may vary based on level of experience, education and geography)
- Paid time off; company-observed holidays to include a company paid holiday closure between Dec 25 and Jan 1; and paid medical/family leave
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance to include options for Health Savings Accounts
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Commuter benefits
This position is based in our Seattle, WA location - there is no relocation assistance offered at this time.
Arzeda is an equal opportunity employer promoting diversity and inclusion in the workspace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding), genetic information, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law.
Legal authorization to work in the United States is required. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.