R&D China Finance Director
At AstraZeneca, we pride ourselves on crafting a collaborative culture that champions knowledge-sharing, ambitious thinking and innovation – ultimately providing employees with the opportunity to work across teams, functions and even the globe.
Are you ready to provide strategic financial support, challenge, guidance and financial leadership to the SVP of R&D China and the R&D China leadership team? If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you. R&D China is a fast-moving, innovative and growing organisation within AstraZeneca with activities across the full R&D value chain from Discovery to early and late development. We are investing at pace in China innovation via Ambition 2030 with China being a key pillar of the longer term strategy for the company.
As the Finance Director, you will be accountable for translating strategy into goals and action, demonstrating a deep understanding of the relationship between the business and finance strategy. In partnership with China LT, you will work towards maximising the value of their portfolio via innovative analysis to aid prioritization and investment decisions proactively, ensuring delivery of Ambition 2030 goals and deliverables. You will own the financial planning cycle for the business units and support in setting performance targets, aligned to strategy and operational plans.
- Joint accountability with the business for the accuracy of forecasts and, using a good understanding of our business model and financial drivers, to challenge and influence the key cost drivers.
- Preparation of all presentations for key business and finance review meetings.
- Proactively drive efficiencies including seeking cross functional process solutions and drive initiatives leading to increase business improvement. This includes establishing global ways of working and minimising or limiting any overlap and duplication with global teams
- Provide strategic financial input to the China strategy (TA Strategy) and business plan, driving the transparency of cost, value and return on investment across the portfolio. This recognises the high level of variability and uncertainty in the Discovery and Early development field and the need for high quality financial skills and evaluation techniques.
- Create operating plans and budgets to ensure the effective delivery of business objectives within timescales and quality standards; including benchmarking and tracking of efficiency and business change. Also ensuring resources are allocated to maximize value across the Project Portfolio, recognising the different needs of the Early stage and Late stage.
- Coach, develop and motivate direct reports to ensure an inclusive way of working where accountabilities are clear, objectives are delivered and competitive advantage created through clear linkages between investment in people and business performance.
- Problem solving and collaborative working
- Ability to build strong relationships with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Persistence, determination and resilience
- Deep analytical thinking. Experience developing business cases and use of decision support tools and mentoring others in their development and use
- Qualified finance professional with experience working as Finance Business Partner with exposure to senior management
- Future focus & interest in the evolving healthcare environment, in particular key China / Asian indications and tumors
- Ability to adapt to constantly changing needs with an open and constructive mindset
- Minimum Bachelor degree, MBA preferred. Relevant 7+ year of experience.
- Proficiency in Mandarin language required
- Experience of working in a global pharmaceutical organisation/ understanding of the drug development life cycle and/or commercial aspects
When we put unexpected teams in the same room, we unleash bold thinking with the power to inspire life-changing medicines. In-person working gives us the platform we need to connect, work at pace and challenge perceptions. That’s why we work, on average, a minimum of three days per week from the office. But that doesn't mean we’re not flexible. We balance the expectation of being in the office while respecting individual flexibility.
Ready to make a difference? Apply now and join us in our mission to improve lives through science!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.