Charles River Laboratories International
Ashland, OH, US, 44805
At Charles River, we are passionate about improving the quality of people’s lives. When you join our global family, you will help create healthier lives for millions of patients and their families.
Charles River employees are innovative thinkers, who are dedicated to continuous learning and improvement. We will empower you with the resources you need to grow and develop in your career.
As a Charles River employee, you will be part of an industry-leading, customer-focused company at the forefront of drug development. Your skills will play a key role in bringing life-saving therapies to market faster through simpler, quicker, and more digitalized processes. Whether you are in lab operations, finance, IT, sales, or another area, when you work at Charles River, you will be the difference every day for patients across the globe.
Responsible for providing professional veterinary services and assisting with the management of all phases of health care for the animal colony.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide clinical care for the animal colony.
• Perform veterinary rounds as scheduled, and provide clinical care and preventive medicine support.
• Perform surgical support and provide anesthesia, surgical and analgesic technical expertise/advice to facilitate protocol development.
• Assist in the development and deliver training for staff. Training may include veterinary diagnostics, techniques and minor surgical procedures.
• Provide animal health care guidance for veterinary services personnel as required.
• Ensure that reports and other materials are prepared and submitted as required.
• May participate in the response to internal/external inspections and quality assurance audits of veterinary or animal welfare type content.
• Provide support for activities of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), including protocol review, program review and facility inspections. May serve on the IACUC committee.
• Write, review and update veterinary care and/or necropsy SOPs as required.
• Perform literature searches relating to veterinary subject matters.
• Ensure facility is in compliance with all applicable regulations, guidelines and standards that relate to animal care and use (e.g. USDA, FDA, AAALAC).
• Make recommendations and assist in establishing and enhancing veterinary and animal care standards.
• May use controlled substances and be responsible for maintaining appropriate records.
• May develop new or innovative surgical techniques or other procedural improvements appropriate to research studies.
• May assist in management of the activities of assigned section, including providing direction to junior employees, scheduling activities, and personnel development of veterinary technical team and husbandry staff.
• Perform special projects and assist with administrative efforts as needed.
• Perform all other related duties as assigned.
• Education: Veterinary degree (D.V.M./V.M.D.).
• Experience: Zero to two years related experience with animal care and surgical techniques. Strong preference for experience in a research/lab animal/GLP environment.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
• Certification/Licensure: Certification/Licensure: Licensure to practice veterinary medicine in at least one U.S. state required. Ability to practice veterinary medicine in the work state highly desirable. USDA accreditation or application submitted within 1 month of hire.
• Other: Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheet and database software. Ability to organize, prioritize work and meet deadlines. Good communication skills.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, crouch, bend, climb, reach overhead, kneel, push/pull and use hands to manipulate objects of varying size and with varying degrees of precision.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to discern animal health and well-being through visual and physical assessment.
• Employees must be able to lift, move and/or hold up to 40 pounds; this includes equipment and animals.
About Safety Assessment
Charles River is committed to helping our partners expedite their preclinical drug development with exceptional safety assessment services, state-of-the-art facilities and expert regulatory guidance. From individual specialty toxicology and IND enabling studies to tailored packages and total laboratory support, our deeply experienced team can design and execute programs that anticipate challenges and avoid roadblocks for a smooth, efficient journey to market. Each year approximately 120 investigational new drug (IND) programs are conducted in our Safety Assessment facilities.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 20,000 employees within 110 facilities in over 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of 86% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2021.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer - all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to [email protected]. This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.
Nearest Major Market: Cleveland
Nearest Secondary Market: Mansfield
Job Segment: Pharmaceutical, Veterinarian, Animal Health, Quality Assurance, Laboratory, Science, Veterinary, Technology