New Patient Coordinator, Lymphoma
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Job ID:
- 450 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215
- Administration Support/Customer Service
- Employment Type:
- Full time
- Work Location:
- Hybrid: 2-3 days onsite/week
The New Patient Coordinator (NPC) position is responsible for all aspects of new patient scheduling in accordance with department scheduling guidelines. The NPC provides superior customer service to all patients, family members, physicians and staff at all times in accordance with the DFCI Customer Service Standards. Assigned to work with a clinical practitioner group consisting of physicians, physician’s assistants, program nurses and nurse practitioners and other care providers, the individual in this position will play a critical role in facilitating all aspects of patient care.
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is a leader in life changing breakthroughs in cancer research and patient care. We are united in our mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. We strive to create an inclusive, diverse, and equitable environment where we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all backgrounds, and design programs to promote public health particularly among high-risk and underserved populations. We conduct groundbreaking research that advances treatment, we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers, and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
This is a partially remote job (hybrid) with 3 days per week onsite and 2 days per week remote. The position will be fully onsite during the initial training period (approximately 60 days).
- Provides administrative support and coordination for all aspects of patient care for both new and/or established patients.
- Schedules appointments following guidelines that support continuity of care and a high standard of timely communication and rescheduling as necessary.
- Appropriately arranges resources to support the highest standard of patient experience and visit, i.e. arranging interpreter services.
- Answers telephone calls, as appropriate for new and/or established patients. This includes the responsibility to collect detailed clinical information provided by patients, internal/external providers, and others such as staff from ancillary services, and either resolve problems directly or ensure appropriate escalation to management.
- Recognizes emergencies and appropriately respond using standard operating procedures and critical thinking skills.
- Provides program specific information to callers and refer calls as necessary.
- Serves as a liaison for patients including efficient routing of calls per telephone triage guidelines.
- Schedules patient visits, and manages changes, ranging in complexity for one physician appointment to multiple care provider appointments.
- Provides information to the patient regarding the need for insurance referral(s), and refers calls as appropriate.
- Assists in processing paperwork associated with clinical care including: insurance claims, disability forms, and medical equipment forms.
At Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, we work every day to create an innovative, caring, and inclusive environment where every patient, family, and staff member feels they belong. As relentless as we are in our mission to reduce the burden of cancer for all, we are equally committed to diversifying our faculty and staff. Cancer knows no boundaries and when it comes to hiring the most dedicated and diverse professionals, neither do we. If working in this kind of organization inspires you, we encourage you to apply.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in health administration or related field is strongly preferred, and/or a minimum of 1 year of related health care and/or customer service experience
- Excellent communication, organizational, and customer service skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Must possess the ability to multi-task and problem solve on the spot
- Excellent phone etiquette
- PC proficiency required
- Ability to work productively in a remote environment
- Knowledge of medical terminology is a plus
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.