International Medical Affairs Senior Manager, MSL & Expansion Markets
Help us change lives
At Exact Sciences, we’re helping change how the world prevents, detects and guides treatment for cancer. We give patients and clinicians the clarity needed to make confident decisions when they matter most. Join our team to find a purpose-driven career, an inclusive culture, and robust benefits to support your life while you’re working to help others.
Exact Sciences is dedicated to delivering patient critical answers across the cancer journey from early detection to treatment decision making. With a strong focus on people and an empathetic spirit, which fuels the company’s culture, driving them to create and deliver solutions rooted in the needs of patients, providers, and families. From earlier cancer detection to treatment guidance and monitoring, Exact Sciences are helping people get the answers they need to make more informed decisions across the cancer continuum. With a leading portfolio of products for earlier detection and treatment guidance, they help people face the most challenging decisions with confidence with a dedication to continuously innovate, combining scientific rigor with an open-minded approach to deliver the next big thing.
Exact Sciences is continuously expanding the pipeline with the aim of tackling a wider array of cancer tests through the following measures:
- Expanding the Oncotype IQ platform to include liquid and tissue-based tests, all with the goal of making cancer care smarter.
- Adapting biomarker-based technologies create a liquid biopsy capable of detecting cancers and precancers from a blood sample.
- Using their proven multi-marker approach to achieve analytical sensitivity needed to discriminate between normal and cancerous samples.
- Collaborating with world-class clinicians and scientists at Mayo Clinic to identify biomarkers associated with the 15 deadliest cancers.
- Building a cancer detection platform upon learnings from the development of Cologuard® (commercially available in the US only).
By 2020, Oncotype DX will have been used to guide treatment decisions for more than 1 million cancer patients worldwide in breast, prostate and colon cancer.
In July 2019 Exact Sciences acquired Genomic Health, a genetic cancer detection company based in Redwood City, California, for USD 2.8 billion, creating the leading global cancer diagnostics company.
In 2020 Exact Sciences acquired Thrive Earlier Detection Corp., a Massachusetts-based healthcare company, in a multi-billion-dollar deal, and Base Genomics, which has technology for DNA methylation analysis.
In February 2021 Exact Sciences announced the acquisition of Ashion Analytics, LLC (Ashion) from The Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen), an affiliate of City of Hope. Ashion is a CLIA-certified and CAP-accredited sequencing lab based in Phoenix, Arizona with the genomics testing capabilities necessary to address the increasingly complex needs of clinical, academic, and biopharma customers focused on precision cancer treatments.
The company is based in the United States, with International headquarters in Zug, Switzerland.
The Medical Affairs Senior Manager, MSL & Expansion Markets, France is a hybrid role responsible for leading an international team of Medical Science Liaisons and supporting Exact Sciences International expansion strategy with key medical activities.
This is an exciting chance to build the first Exact Sciences International MSL team in leading and executing an efficient and transparent conversion plan to bring MSL contractors in-house as well as hire and onboard new MSLs to create a diverse and inclusive team. The International Medical Affairs Senior Manager – MSL & Expansion Markets will be expected to develop and drive MSL strategy ensure field medical activities and insight generation result in demonstrable outcomes and further develop and grow the MSL capability at Exact Sciences International.
In addition, this individual will be responsible for medical affairs activities in selected key markets across International. These markets will include those where we want to move directly into a market (currently through distributors) or those markets where we currently have limited patient access that require improved reimbursement pathways.
The Medical lead will work closely with the Market Expansion Team and lead all associated medial activities that may include leading medical activities for change in market reimbursement, aligning new market needs with central medical team, developing core data strategy for new markets, and defining resourcing needs and transition to new hires. The position is also responsible for consolidating and interpreting medical intelligence and reporting it to the Expansion Markets team.
The incumbent will work closely with other functions within the company, including Corporate Strategy, Marketing, and Commercial to advance cross-functional understanding of the MSL value proposition, identify gaps and achieve results in line with company objectives.
Representing the medical function, this individual will also manage research and educational medical objectives, while supporting commercial business and reimbursement objectives for the Oncotype DX breast recurrence score test.
This position requires professionals with established personal and scientific creditability to interact with thought leaders, government health authorities, and medical centers of excellence. This is a dynamic role and will continue to evolve.
- Lead an international team of MSLs toward the implementation of field medical activities by communicating expectations and guiding the team to maintain and effectively communicate deep scientific knowledge and excel at KOL engagement and support medical/scientific information needs of scientific and clinical experts.
- Accompany the team to meetings with KOLs and other HCPs to assess proficiency and provide timely and constructive performance feedback.
- Lead and coordinate MSL team meetings to support team building, best practice sharing, development, and the accomplishment of field medical objectives.
- Develop a MSL Strategic Plan as well as Medical Plan for the markets, which include plans for KOL engagement, data generation, educational and guideline initiatives and reimbursement initiatives that align with the business objectives.
- Identify and engage international, national, and regional thought leaders in breast cancer within assigned geographic regions to conduct scientific discussions and understand insights related to molecular diagnostics in early BC management, while also establishing and maintaining professional relationships with them.
- Act as primary contact for investigators interested in developing and performing studies with the company’s commercially available assays in breast cancer.
- Assist in R&D and investigator-initiated studies as appropriate.
- Lead national and regional Advisory Boards when external advice is needed.
- Provide clinical presentations and information in academic, community, and healthcare provider setting in both group and one-on-one situations.
- Support & partner with regional team to deliver key medical activities.
- Developing medical slides, giving medical training presentations, and training in internal meetings and for partner distributors.
- Support international access & reimbursement with medical and scientific expertise.
- Assure compliance with relevant corporate policies.
- Provide feedback and medical input to local commercial plans and strategies.
Pivotal Experience & Expertise
- Degree in Medicine/Medical Doctor or PhD, PharmD.
- 3+ years of therapeutic clinical experience desired.
- 5 to 7 years of industry experience (working in pharma/biotech/med tech).
- At least 3 years in a Medical Science Liaison role.
- Previous MSL (or other) management experience.
- Expertise in Oncology. Experience in breast/GI/lung cancer is a plus.
- Experience in Diagnostics or Biotech industry is a plus.
- Experience in relevant geographies a plus.
- Excellent English. Skills in other languages preferred.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation communication skills.
- Ability to independently deliver quality results in a timely manner.
- Proven record of working in matrix environment and delivering as part of a cross-functional team.
- Track record of delivering innovative medical activities across markets.
- Highest integrity and ethical behavior.
- Mutual respect for colleagues.
- Collaborative within teams, uses resources carefully and can build a great place to work and grow.
- Ability to interact within culturally diverse teams.
- Business acumen and innovative mindset. Ability to manage though complexity and ambiguity, while focusing on the end goal.
- Office-based in the International headquarters in Zug or out of one of our European offices.
- Ability to travel approx.. >50%.
Our success relies on the experiences and perspectives of a diverse team, and Exact Sciences fosters a culture where all employees can develop personally and professionally with a sense of respect and belonging. If you require an accommodation, email firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community and stay up to date on what’s new at Exact Sciences.