Scientist I, Chemistry
Company Overview: Abiologics, Inc. is a privately held, early-stage biotechnology company on a mission to make biology better through chemistry. We are pioneering the development of SynteinsTM, a transformational class of macromolecular medicines unlocked by novel synthetic and computational technologies. Abiologics is actively seeking exceptional molecular scientists who are passionate about driving chemical innovation in biotechnology. Abiologics was founded in Flagship Pioneering’s venture creation engine, where companies such as Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA) and Generate Biomedicines were conceived and created.
Position Summary: Are you a highly motivated and collaborative chemist with a strong background in small molecule and/or peptide synthesis? Abiologics invites you to join our growing team and help shape the future of macromolecular medicine. As part of our early scientific team, you will contribute to building our core platform by developing breakthrough synthesis technologies that accelerate SynteinTM construction and testing. Please apply if you are eager to develop this powerful new modality and excited to join a dynamic team!
- Develop and apply breakthrough chemical synthesis technologies to construct novel SynteinsTM
- Accelerate SynteinTM prototyping and optimization through computationally-enabled structure-activity relationship (SAR) testing
- Deploy modern synthetic organic methodologies to expand the scope of SynteinTM architecture and function
- Purify and analyze SynteinTM macromolecular properties using modern chemical, biophysical and functional assays
- Communicate progress of work in oral and written format as part of a cross-functional team
- PhD in chemistry, chemical engineering, or BS/MS with 5+ years relevant experience in biotechnology or the pharmaceutical industry
- Proficient in modern peptide synthesis, including bioconjugation, purification and analysis; capable of immediate independent laboratory work on solid- and solution-phase chemistries
- Competency in synthesis automation using modern robotics
- Working knowledge of modern synthetic organic chemistry and method development, including reaction design and troubleshooting
- Motivated to maintain a strong laboratory presence along with design, planning and execution of timebound experiments
At Flagship, we recognize there is no perfect candidate. If you have some of the experience listed above but not all, please apply anyway. Experience comes in many forms, skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We are dedicated to building diverse and inclusive teams and look forward to learning more about your unique background.
About Flagship Pioneering:
Flagship Pioneering is a biotechnology company that invents and builds platform companies that change the world. We bring together the greatest scientific minds with entrepreneurial company builders and assemble the capital to allow them to take courageous leaps. Those big leaps in human health and sustainability exponentially accelerate scientific progress in areas ranging from cancer detection and treatment to nature-positive agriculture. What sets Flagship apart is our ability to advance biotechnology by uniting life science innovation, company creation, and capital investment under one roof in a way that is largely without precedent. Our scientific founders, entrepreneurial leaders, and professional capital managers are each aligned around an institutionalized process that enables us to innovate and transform for the benefit of people and planet. Many of the companies Flagship has founded have addressed humanity’s most urgent challenges: vaccinating billions of people against COVID-19, curing intractable diseases, improving human health, preempting illness, and feeding the world by improving the resiliency and sustainability of agriculture.
Flagship has been recognized twice on FORTUNE’s “Change the World” list, an annual ranking of companies that have made a positive social and environmental impact through activities that are part of their core business strategies, and has been twice named to Fast Company’s annual list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies.