Global Commodity Manager
Location: Michigan City, Indiana, United States
Job ID: R0044008
Date Posted: Feb 12, 2024
Segment: Connective Industries
Business Unit: Hitachi Industrial Equipment Systems
Company Name: HITACHI GLOBAL AIR POWER US, LLC
Profession (Job Category): Customer Service & Contact Center Operations
Job Type (Experience Level): Experienced
Job Schedule: Full time
Summary of the position:
The Global Commodity Manager – This critical role is to support the global, overarching commodity strategies and execution of global spend for direct spend commodities. Candidates will be selected based on their overall functional strategic sourcing competency and experience.
The candidate will work under the direction of the Sr. Director of Global Supply Chain and will engage stakeholders to support various category strategies. They will also work closely with site transactional purchasing personnel to align the strategies with site execution. Furthermore, the candidate will support core supplier relationships with a mandate to meet organizational standards in respect to quality, service, technical support, and best commercial value.
The candidate will have proven product and market knowledge relative to one or more commodities and will be well versed in functional strategic sourcing practices and had a deep knowledge of SAP with LEAN and operating in LEAN culture. Being well versed in numerous industrial commodities will be an advantage.
The work site location is Chicago, IL or Michigan City, IN and will require travel to manufacturing site locations, supplier meetings or tradeshows/events as needed. Up to 35% domestic and international travel is required.
Duties and responsibilities:
The role will include the following responsibilities and requirements:
- Maintain effective links with global stakeholders within the brand verticals, manufacturing sites and core supplier contacts. This includes the ability to manage and communicate to stakeholders across various levels, functions, countries and cultures.
- Provide strategic sourcing services and lead specific category projects, as directed.
- Execution to specific cost reduction targets.
- Maintain an understanding of the commodity market conditions and trends and develop category strategies with the correct level of analytical rigor.
- Understand the impact of the business's strategy on the future requirements of the category areas.
- Ensure the strategy delivers ‘best value’ based on a combination of quality, service and cost, and that the strategic sourcing process is applied consistently and appropriately.
- Manage procurement tenders and work in conjunction with the legal unit to ensure the contract’s appropriateness for locations and relevant laws.
- Support periodic supplier business reviews that includes criteria to measure supplier performance in terms of cost, risk, stakeholder satisfaction, technical support, supplier delivery/quality performance, investment, and continuous improvement.
- Support appropriate relationships with suppliers to maximize value to the business.
- Support improvement to existing processes, systems, practices and procedures.
- Use consistent strategic sourcing processes and e-procurement tools (such as reverse auctioning) and understand the best applications for the use of specific tools.
- BS Degree in Engineering, Supply Chain, Business Administration or other relevant degree program. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 2 - 5 years commodity management experience in a global industrial equipment manufacturing environment.
- Required to have high level knowledge with SAP and in the use of analytical tools such as Microsoft.
- High level of commercial negotiations and contract management with demonstrated success.
- World class project management skills and strategic planning experience.
- International business and cultural experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of an organization (internal/external) and across global nationalities and cultures.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Ability to self-motivate, multi-task and work independently as part of a geographically dispersed, virtual team.
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor with energy and a sense of urgency.
- Ability to travel on a domestic and international basis.
- LEAN oriented thinker
- Candidate must work well in a team environment while being a self-starter.
- Strict attention to detail.
- Not satisfied with the Status Quo.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and thoughtfully on a daily basis.
- Must be results-oriented, high energy and a representative of the Sullair Values.
- No direct reports currently but possible growth in the future
The successful candidate is responsible for complying with Hitachi Global Air Power US Code of Ethics and related policies. In performing the job, the incumbent shall take all steps necessary to comply with our safety rules and requirements and must actively support the organization's efforts to meet and exceed its goals of creating and maintaining a safe workplace.
This description is to serve as a guide. It is intended to be flexible and will continue to evolve over time with business needs and demands and may be updated periodically and at the Company's discretion.
Hitachi Global Air Power US is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate based on race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or other protected categories under applicable law, whether in recruitment, employment, promotion, transfer, compensation, or other conditions of employment.