Rolling Stock Testing Technician
Location: Hagerstown, Maryland, United States
Job ID: R0043683
Date Posted: Feb 12, 2024
Segment: Green Energy & Mobility
Business Unit: Hitachi Rail
Company Name: Hitachi Rail USA, Inc.
Profession (Job Category): Other
Job Schedule: Full time
Hitachi Rail is looking for an enthusiastic self-motivated Rolling Stock Testing Technician who thrives in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate is comfortable performing a wide range of tasks from administrative to strategic. The position is based in Baltimore, MD.
A career at Hitachi Rail will help create a legacy. With operations in every corner of the world, our work goes to the cutting-edge of digital transformation and technology. From the multi-cultural strength of our global organization to the sustainable and innovative ways we work to bring people together, there’s something for everyone to get stuck into. And that’s where you come in.
As Rolling Stock Testing Technician, you will be performing skilled, repair and modification on all electronic and electro-mechanical systems and components found in transit light and heavy rail vehicles. Incumbents work independently according to accepted standards of the trade, supervisory direction, Company established procedures, practices, and specifications. Incumbents may also provide on-site trouble assessment, response and adjustment of revenue vehicles. This class of technicians work specifically to test, troubleshoot, and repair electro-mechanical and electronic systems and components found on transit revenue vehicles. Under general supervision, performs skilled, test, troubleshooting, repair, and modification to a variety of electronic and electro-mechanical equipment and components found in heavy and light rail vehicles; performs related work as assigned.
As Rolling Stock Testing Technician, the occupant duties and responsibilities includes but are not limited to:
- Following a pre-established schedule, testing and adjustment of electronic, electronical and mechanical systems found on transit vehicles. Including those associated with propulsion, train control, pneumatic supply and brake control, air conditioning, annunciation, communications, door control, lighting, and auxiliary electrical supply.
- Troubleshoots and performs primary performance verification on such systems, removing and replacing components as required to achieve manufacturer specifications.
- Records all findings accurately in provided Test Reports, for inclusion into Car History Books that follow each completed vehicle.
- Performs modifications to rail vehicle electronic and electro-mechanical systems, as directed by engineering and supervisory staff.
- Works with engineering and other production staff regarding modifications.
- Uses diagnostic test equipment and precision measuring devices in the course of the work; may fabricate new testing equipment as required for use on new components and systems.
- Performs secondary dismantling and repair of electronic and electro-mechanical systems.
- Verifies performance of new or modified systems or equipment.
- Works closely with transit vehicle mechanics in troubleshooting problems and performing primary repairs.
- Reads and interprets diagrams, engineering drawings, manuals, schematics and work orders.
- Measures, tests and inspects completed work to confirm adherence to specifications.
- Documents work performed and parts and materials used; follows specified safety procedures.
- 2+ yrs experience, desired in light rail or Aviation environment.
- Experience in low and high voltage (VDC), medium voltage (VAC) and relay logic.
- Experience in the use of test related equipment i.e., digital multi meters, pneumatic gauges, current probes etc….
- Must own and maintain a basic hand tool set.
- Experience in precision measuring equipment i.e., caliper, micrometer, pie tape, etc….
- Experience in electrical crimp and mechanical torque techniques.
- Must have experience working within and maintaining a safe work environment.
- Experience with working in diverse and busy team environments.
- Must speak, read and write English.
- Ability to read drawings, blueprints and diagrams.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize and work well under pressure and against deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in a team environment.
- Must be able to read and understand work orders.
- Must be able to read and perform procedures.
- Must be able to diagnose and make various electrical & mechanical adjustments using provided procedures.
- Attention to quality control and customer service.
- Computer skills must include at least basic levels for MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to lift up to 30 to 50 lbs.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- College/Technical trade education is preferred.
Hitachi Rail employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including Competitive Pay, Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, Short & Long Term Disability, Life & Accident Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, a Retirement Savings Plan, and Paid Vacation. We also offer a number of Work/Life Programs such as Flextime and a variety of Training and Development opportunities.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. Join us at www.hitachirail.com/careers
It is our commitment at Hitachi Rail to create a diverse environment and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We would be delighted if you would be one of our followers! Have a glance at our LinkedIn page https://www.linkedin.com/company/hitachirail/
“In accordance with the DOT’s FRA and FTA programs, Hitachi’s substance screening program tests pre-employment candidates and current employees, as required for safety-sensitive positions.”
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)-Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
If you need a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job at Hitachi, please send the nature of request and contact information to [email protected].
Queries other than accommodation requests will not be responded to.