IT PMO Portfolio Director
ICON plc is a world-leading healthcare intelligence and clinical research organisation. From molecule to medicine, we advance clinical research providing outsourced services to pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device and government and public health organisations.
With our patients at the centre of all that we do, we help to accelerate the development of drugs and devices that save lives and improve quality of life.
Our people are our greatest strength, are at the core of our culture, and the driving force behind our success. ICON people have a mission to succeed and a passion that ensures what we do, we do well.
The Director IT (PMO) is a leadership position in the IT PMO, with accountability to ensure that the projects and programmes within their remit are implemented successfully and deliver value, while working with the PMO leadership to ensure the success of the PMO as a whole.
This will include oversight on business cases and project / program implementations, portfolio management, governance, resource management, senior stakeholder relationship management, line management, opex and PMO continuous improvement.
- Accountable for the success of all projects and programs under certain portfolios or areas. Also work with the PMO leadership to ensure the PMO as a whole is successful.
- Responsible for (with other members of the PMO leadership) managing the demand and supply of projects and PMs, assessing new projects, managing stakeholders, portfolio management and reporting, P&L management, staff development, hiring, performance management, PMO continuous improvement etc.
- Ensure the head of the PMO and other relevant IT Executive members are aware of relevant risks and issues.
- Represent the PMO at senior level forums and meetings, internal and external. Provide concise information to enable decisions at a senior level.
- Manage all PMs reporting to you (including relevant external PMs) and working within your portfolio, setting expectations and enabling them to achieve the PMO goals and their personal development goals. Ensure the PMs follow the PMO methodology and are compliant with all ICON processes and training requirements.
- Manage PM capex utilization, ensuring that PMs hit capex targets. Work with PMO leadership to ensure overall PMO P&L is managed effectively.
- Keep up to date with ICON initiatives, strategy and culture. Ensure your team are informed as relevant. Live the ICON culture and lead by example.
- Consult and advise IT Business Partners on the budget process, governance process, roadmap and on new business case initiation and solution definition phases.
- Review new project plans and budgets to ensure they are set up for success and cater for reasonable risks. Ensure plans and budgets are in place for new business cases within your remit and ensure they are appropriate.
- Ensure there are appropriate RACIs in place for all projects – preapproval and post approval.
- Review relevant vendor contracts (especially solution implementation vendors) and ensure they are appropriate for the defined work – to enable the successful implementation of projects and to protect ICON commercially.
- Ensure appropriate governance is in place for all projects, programs and portfolios.
- Look to improve PMO processes here possible, as part of a continuous improvement mindset. Understand ICON strategy and identify how the PMO can align with the key areas. Ensure projects learn from each other.
- Proactively work with other IT functions to improve processes, address issues etc.
- Build and maintain relationships with all stakeholders at all levels of the organization. Look to understand the key aspects of relevant business functions.
- Manage vendor relationships – for PMs and other staff and product or solution vendors.
- Ensure that PMs implement and close projects with a view on future adoption and benefits realization. Ensure these are reviewed post implementation, as appropriate.
- Track and report ROI and other post implementation benefits across all investments as appropriate – bring updates to IAB as relevant. Ownership of achieving the benefits and ROI is with the business owners.
- Ensure that all investments are tracked and reported as appropriate (capex, opex, status, forecasts, roadmap).
- Lead the assessment of plans, budget, scope and resources for client related work (including RFI, RFPs, client presentations), as required. Ensure submissions are appropriate from a delivery and commercial viewpoint.
To be successful in the role, you will ideally have:
- 15+ years of relevant experience managing and successfully delivering complex projects (including large, cross functional, geographically dispersed project teams) within a large company.
- Experience in managing project managers on projects, programs or across portfolios.
- Strong delivery and accountability ethos, strong problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent relationship management skills across all organizational levels. Ability to work with senior level stakeholders, clients, vendors, and external auditors. Build and maintain relationships.
- Excellent understanding and experience in delivering organizational change as part of IT projects. Mentor and guide others in this as appropriate.
- Experience in managing custom developed (internal and external) solutions as well as off-the-shelf or configured solutions, including dealing with challenging vendors.
- Expertise in risk management and test strategy.
- Excellent experience in negotiating vendor contracts.
- Excellent leadership, documentation, and communication skills
- Comply with company and Project Management processes, methodologies, and training.
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills.
- Conflict Resolution and Problem Solving.
- Multiple PMO and SDLC methodologies.
- CRO / Pharma / Regulatory (including 21 CRF Part 11, SOX) experience an advantage.
- Bachelor’s degree or local equivalent or equivalent work experience
- PM certification an advantage
Benefits of Working in ICON:
Our success depends on the knowledge, capabilities and quality of our people. That’s why we are committed to developing our employees in a continuous learning culture – one where we challenge you with engaging work and where every experience adds to your professional development.
At ICON, our focus is to provide you with a comprehensive and competitive total reward package that comprises, not only an excellent level of base pay, but also a wide range of variable pay and recognition programs. In addition, our best in class employee benefits, supportive policies and wellbeing initiatives are tailored to support you and your family at all stages of your career - both now, and into the future.
ICON, including subsidiaries, is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer and is committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please let us know through the form below.