PATIENT COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
Moffitt Cancer Center
PATIENT COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
- Tampa, FL
- Patient Contact Comm Ctr
- Full Time - Day Shift - Set shift M-F b/t the hours of 7a-6p and potential for Saturday 8-Noon.
- Req #: 74787
At Moffitt Cancer Center, we strive to be the leader in understanding the complexity of cancer and applying these insights to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Our diverse team of over 9,000 are dedicated to serving our patients and creating a workspace where every individual is recognized and appreciated. For this reason, Moffitt has been recognized on the 2023 Forbes list of America’s Best Large Employers and America’s Best Employers for Women, Computerworld magazine’s list of 100 Best Places to Work in Information Technology, DiversityInc Top Hospitals & Health Systems and continually named one of the Tampa Bay Time’s Top Workplace. Additionally, Moffitt is proud to have earned the prestigious Magnet® designation in recognition of its nursing excellence. Moffitt is a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, and the leading cancer hospital in both Florida and the Southeast. We are a top 10 nationally ranked cancer center by Newsweek and have been nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report since 1999.
Working at Moffitt is both a career and a mission: to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Join our committed team and help shape the future we envision.
The Patient Communication Specialist (PCS) is responsible for answering inbound calls, emails and other communications (for example, online chat) within the centralized patient contact center, assisting patients and/or routing those making inquiry to the appropriate department for their individual needs.
The primary responsibility of the PCS is to transcribe detailed clinical messages into electronic systems to send to the appropriate party according to established guidelines. The PCS will follow up and escalate when necessary when responses are not received within the specified timeframe.
We are currently looking for a Patient Communication Specialist (PCS) to join our team.
- Receive calls/electronic inquiries on behalf of a wide range of physicians and hospital departments. Assesse the needs to the caller according to department protocols, personally resolving a majority of inquiries without transfer or escalation. Transfer/escalate certain incoming calls to another destination on limited occasions; endeavors to resolve inquiries without transfer by asking appropriate questions and providing callers with accurate information utilizing resources to resolve inquiries within the scope of the department (e.g., provides directions, confirms appointment dates/times, transcribes requests for medical records). For clinical calls, accurately transcribe clear and concise messages according to defined protocols including immediate digital messaging to the clinical team when indicated. Follow up on messages to ensure that they were received and handled by the appropriate team, escalating to management when appropriate.
- Read, understand and follow protocols accurately and efficiently. Develop a thorough understanding of policies and can exercise appropriate judgment to intelligently handle situations outside of standard protocols. Read, understand and follow protocols accurately and efficiently; develop a thorough understanding of policies and exercises appropriate judgment to intelligently handle situations outside of standard protocols.
- Perform clerical and administrative duties between calls including monitoring of electronic fax stations and accurately flagging faxes for their intended recipients.
- Provide detailed, step-by-step technical support to patients to ensure they can successfully access, navigate and utilize Moffitt's growing portfolio of electronic communication platforms. Demonstrate confidence and technical understanding in interactions with patients.
- Answer routine inquiries and perform functions such as confirming appointments and collecting ROI request details.
- Report telephone problems immediately to supervisor and/or IT.
- Consult with supervisor if unsure of how to handle a specific situation.
- Answer incoming calls in a timely and professional manner, addressing inquiries appropriate to scope and routing them to their proper destinations as required.
- Accurately enter information obtained during call into databases as the call is being processed.
- Act independently and with sound judgment in responding to situations. Accurately gather information to take a comprehensive and clear message on behalf of the patients and families that are attempting to contact a provider.
- Determine priorities, resolve problems and diffuse tensions of callers who are experiencing difficulty.
- Maintain a strong knowledge of Moffitt services, departments and operations.
- Demonstrate initiative by utilizing time between calls to complete tasks specific to the Department.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Work cooperatively with fellow department members to achieve team goals.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment while maintaining strong communication, interpersonal, conflict-management, telephone etiquette, and customer service skills.
- A consistent "TEAM" player attitude.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- High school diploma / GED required.
- 2 years of telephone-based customer service, “help desk” or physician answering service experience or 1 year of relevant Moffitt experience in a role that has direct interaction with patients and/or their families.
- Excellent verbal (voice quality, grammar and articulation) and written (grammar, spelling, accuracy) communication skills.
- Accurate data entry skills, including fast and accurate keyboarding (typing) required with a minimum proven ability to type 40 WPM.
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Office Outlook with basic proficiency.
- Must be able to pass a typing competency test.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Moffitt Cancer Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran or disabled status. We seek candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Moffitt endeavors to make moffitt.org/careers accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact one of the Human Resources receptionists by phone at 813-745-7899 or by email at HRReceptionists@moffitt.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please click here.