The primary responsibility of this role is to oversee the monthly and quarterly financial statement preparation for Precision BioSciences, including regulatory filings, SEC financial statement filings and management reporting.
The Assistant Controller will be responsible for coordinating the preparation of financial information to management by reviewing accounting data prepared by the broader finance team, identifying relevant SOX internal controls and ensuring compliance across various departments, preparing technical papers on complex accounting standards and managing the accounting impact and logistical coordination of multiple equity compensation plans, including stock options, restricted stock units (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP). This requires in-depth knowledge of GAAP accounting principles and practices, business principles, strong multi-tasking and organizational skills, and a demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy.
Overall, this role encompasses the ability to:
- Manage the professional development of accounting personnel
- Oversee the preparation of financial statements by the broader accounting team including review of reconciliations, management of the close timeline, point of contact with the auditors and coordination of the quarterly tax provision
- Identify and maintain cross-departmental compliance with SOX internal controls and ensure Precision is prepared for a 404b-level SOX audit upon trigger
- Utilize a strong understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) to research and prepare technical accounting papers for complex transactions including collaboration agreements, equity investments and debt agreements with warrant liabilities
- Understand directions and work with appropriate levels of supervision
- Possess technical expertise including knowledge of Excel, accounting and general ledger systems
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. This list contains the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform role-related duties other than those contained in this document.
- Support the organization to meet reporting due dates and requirements imposed by regulators and external auditors. Support includes monthly and quarterly internal financial reporting packages, submissions for quarterly financial requirements, as well as external reporting in regulatory public filings; periodic reports with Form 8-K and Section 16 compliance, quarterly with Form 10-Q, and annually with Form 10-K and the DEF 14A (annual shareholder meeting proxy)
- Utilize a strong understanding of GAAP to research and prepare technical accounting papers for complex transactions including collaboration agreements, equity investments and debt agreements with warrant liabilities; coordinate the outside review and approval process with auditors and subject matter experts as applicable
- Review reconciliations of general ledger accounts, prepare and review variance analyses, provide overall support for the general accounting needs of the Company
- Maintain equity compensation administration and accounting impact of stock options, the employee stock purchase plan, including enrollment and settlement of semi-annual offering periods, and restricted stock units (RSUs) including sell-to-cover trading orders in compliance with SEC Rule 10b5-1
- Preparation of stock compensation expense in accordance with accounting standard ASC 718
- Manage stock option exercises, including W-2, 1099, Form 3921, and Form 3922 reporting with employees, non-employees, the corporate broker, and the transfer agent
- Submission and coordination of DWAC settlements of secondary financings, including at-the-market (ATM) offerings with the transfer agent and underwriter banks
- Ensure compliance with corporate governance policies, including the Insider Trading Policy and Related Party Policy
- Responsible for accurate and complete accrual procedures as part of monthly and quarterly close
- Support the Business Finance team in the preparation of the annual budget and forecasts
- Responsible for cross-departmental implementation and compliance with Sarbanes Oxley procedures and practices including 302 and 404 procedures
- Serve as secondary point of contact for coordination and submission of regulatory Current Report 8-K filings and Section 16 ownership reports to the SEC
- Fully support Company goals of continuous improvement and operational excellence at strategic and tactical levels including reviewing areas of responsibility for improvement opportunities to initiate projects or communicate ideas to management
- Extensive use of NetSuite and Microsoft Excel to assist in the preparation of monthly financial reports, journal entries and analysis
- Develop understanding of complex GAAP and accounting principles, to be able to provide critical analysis of various results and variances; learn about market, industry, and economic factors that drive the business and financial results
- Build strong, open, and collaborative working relationships characterized by mutual respect with superiors, peers, and subordinates within and outside Precision BioSciences
- Any additional responsibilities or tasks as assigned
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job successfully.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business with 5+ years general accounting experience (including 3+ in public accounting), or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to produce accurate quality work
- Detail orientation and dependability
- Strong organizational skills
- Able to communicate data succinctly and accurately
- Strong proficiency in the use of MS Office products, specifically Excel
- Ability to work with confidential information of a sensitive nature and assure it is safeguarded to protect the integrity of the company
- CPA license
- Public accounting and/or experience within a pharmaceutical industry
- This position requires little to no travel
- This is a primarily office-based position associated with the main headquarters in downtown Durham, NC. For the time being, this role will be able to function remotely.
Precision BioSciences, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTIL), is a clinical stage biotechnology company dedicated to improving life (DTIL) with its novel and proprietary ARCUS® genome editing platform. This isn’t just a statement supporting the products that we’re developing – it’s a statement that speaks to our collective desire to do our part in improving the lives of those around us. ARCUS is a highly specific and versatile genome editing platform designed with therapeutic safety, delivery, and control in mind. Using ARCUS, Precision is developing in vivo gene correction therapies for genetic diseases. Our team includes pioneers in genome editing, leaders in business, and a full staff of talented and committed people who are excited to be a part of medical and scientific breakthroughs. For additional information, please visit www. precisionbiosciences.com
Precision BioSciences actively fosters an inclusive environment to ensure we attract and retain the best talent; we value diversity of life experiences and perspectives; and we encourage innovation in pursuit of our mission. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Precision BioSciences complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.