Data Scientist Machine Learning & Deep Learning
Led by Prof. Bissan Al-Lazikani, Director of Therapeutics Data Science, the intelligent and ever-learning A3D3a platform is part of the new initiative in Therapeutics Data Science and part of our ambitious Institute for Data Science in Oncology at MD Anderson. A3D3a will accelerate the discovery and impact of novel therapies for cancer by enabling novel opportunities for optimized therapies for patients with a focus on rare and hard-to-treat cancers through the development of novel machine learning and AI technologies.
Central to this vision, the Data Scientist will innovate and deploy Machine Learning and Deep Learning approaches to uncover hidden therapeutic opportunities in integrated patient data and will work closely with biologists, data scientists, and clinicians.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
* Build data science tools and predictive algorithms focusing on graph-based statistics and technologies
* Develop novel deep learning approaches and utilizing Graph Neural Networks for cancer data
* Maintain knowledge of cutting-edge machine learning approaches and technologies and implement these where appropriate
* Perform data wrangling and preparation for deep learning analysis
* Perform statistical analysis
* Produce output for scientific publications and co-author said publications
* Prepare written reports, manuscripts, and grant applications with investigators
Support and Continuity
* Machine Learning (e.g., Naïve Bayes, Random Forests, Support Vector Machines, etc.)
* Deep Learning (e.g., Convolutional Neural Networks, Graph Neural Networks, Autoencoders, etc.)
* Addressing challenges in Machine Learning / Deep Learning as well as mitigation strategies including data bias; imbalance and model validation approaches
* Machine-learning platforms (e.g. TensorFlow, sklearn, Keras, etc.)
* Unix, R/Matlab, Python or other scripting/programming languages
* Excellent working knowledge of statistical methods and tests
* Other duties as assigned.
With Inclusion, you understand that your ideas and contributions are valued. You promote the same for others. You address your own biases while promoting diversity and equity. (Competencies: Cultural Humility, Cultural Awareness, Cultural Intelligence)
With Drive, you see that you can serve as a leader whether you have a formal leadership role or not. You tackle problems, move past setbacks and hardships, and don't lose sight of your goals. (Competencies: Self-Confidence, Analytical Thinking, Innovative Thinking, Technical Expertise)
You demonstrate Professionalism by setting the example for others and consistently modeling MD Anderson's values and service standards. You communicate effectively in a variety of ways. (Competencies: Inspire Trust, Oral Communication, Written Communication)
Through Emotional Intelligence, you maintain awareness of your own emotions and the emotions of those around you. Use nonverbal cues and feelings to engage others in an inclusive and responsive way. (Competencies: Active Listening, Teaming, Self-Reflection)
Having Coachability means you are engaged in relentless learning. You constantly ask questions and stay curious. You understand that the organization constantly evolves, and you should as well. (Competencies: Develop Oneself, Adaptability)
Required: Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, Applied Mathematics, Science, Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Computational Biology, or related field.
Preferred: Master's degree or PhD in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, Applied Mathematics, Science, Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Computational Biology, or related field.
Required: Three years experience in scientific software development/analysis. With Master's degree, one years experience required. With PhD, no experience required.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston is one of the world's most respected centers focused on cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It was named the nation's No. 1 hospital for cancer care in U.S. News & World Report's 2023 rankings. It is one of the nation's original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute.